Annual standardized testing
Homeschool Idaho is excited to announce that we are now partnering with BJU Press Testing and Evaluation to offer the Iowa Assessments from the comfort of your own home!
Parents will enjoy a streamlined process, with year-round testing, testing results in 10 days, no shipping costs, and a provided test administrator!
We have arranged with BJU to receive a group report from Idaho families that test with them, allowing us to continue to showcase to legislators the test scores of Idaho home educated students. More details coming soon, but here is an overview:
- Homeschool Idaho’s families will call BJU directly at (800) 845-5731 to order their online tests.
- Each family will indicate during the ordering process that they are testing with Homeschool Idaho.
- Homeschool Idaho’s families will submit data and payment directly to BJU Press Testing and Evaluation (the current price of each test is $35).
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Take the Iowa Assessments™ Form E achievement test from the comfort of your own home!
BJU Press Testing & Evaluation is offering faster results with fewer requirements. Benefits of testing online include:
- testing results in 10 days
- no shipping costs
- year-round testing
- test administrator provided by Testing & Evaluation.
Why is Homeschool Idaho no longer offering testing sites around the state?
Homeschool Idaho is continually evaluating better ways to serve Idaho’s homeschool families. After a careful cost/benefit analysis, we determined that our testing services were no longer the best way to achieve our goals.
At the heart of our decision were these factors:
- An excellent online testing tool is available. BJU Press offers the same Iowa tests that we’ve always provided. We anticipate that this economical and convenient option will benefit homeschool families by allowing you to test on your own schedule, and by removing the need for childcare and travel to testing sites. Read more about BJU’s online testing program, but remember we will be sending instructions you will need to follow to have your student’s scores included in our report.
- The testing program that we’ve offered for two decades has been very labor-intensive. A large and well-coordinated team of volunteers worked year-round to provide our testing service to our members. While we love and appreciate our volunteers, we hope this new option will be more efficient and more convenient.
- By utilizing BJU Press for your testing, Idaho homeschool families can still contribute to the group data. This will allow Homeschool Idaho to continue reminding the Idaho legislature of the academic excellence of private home education.
In Idaho, there is no law requiring testing for home educated students.
While completely optional, there are many benefits of having your child take a standardized test through Homeschool Idaho and BJU.
PROTECT HOMESCHOOL FREEDOM
Establishing an Idaho database of compiled scores lends credibility to the educational excellence of homeschool students. Because our scores are so very high, the larger the number of students tested, the more convincing our scores become to both legislators and the public.
The high test scores of Idaho’s home educators was fundamental to the passage of Idaho’s homeschool law in 2009. Your participation is encouraged, not only for your own information, but to continue to safeguard our freedoms.
LEARN TEST-TAKING SUCCESS
Following directions, relaxing under pressure, focusing within large groups, pacing oneself, and completing work in an allotted time are all great skills that can be honed through taking tests.
Testing can be a valuable preparation for college entrance exams such as the ACT and SAT.
WE PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY
The charts of test scores shown to Idaho legislators are combined scores of homeschool students statewide, never individual scores.
PROVIDE A BENCHMARK
Standardized tests indicate how your child compares academically to other children at his grade level.
While we do have the privilege of seeing our children learn on a day-to-day basis, it is beneficial to assess a child’s year-to-year development of learning.
HOMESCHOOL IDAHO HONOR SOCIETY
Students in grades 9-12 with a complete composite score of the 90th percentile or higher qualify as Homeschool Idaho Summa Cum Laude Scholars. A score between the 80th and 89th percentile qualifies as a Magna Cum Laude Scholar. Honor designations earned during the junior or senior year entitle seniors to wear a white (Summa) or gold (Magna) honor cord at the Idaho State Homeschool Graduation.
Students will be awarded a signed certificate in the first year they acheive Summa or Magna honors, and a letter from the Homeschool Idaho chairman in subsequent years.
DUAL ENROLLMENT QUALIFICATION
To be eligible for certain dual enrollment opportunities in Idaho public schools, principals or athletic directors may ask to review standardized test results.
The Composite Numbers
Idaho home educated students as a whole, regardless of the number of years of home education, typically score 25 to 30 points higher than Idaho public school students.
- Vocabulary – 95%
- Reading – 92%
- Language – 87%
- Mathematics – 75%